It is not uncommon for individuals in recovery to relapse. Just because you might have relapsed does not mean that you’ve failed your recovery. It’s important to fight past the frustration and have a concreate plan in place on how you’re going to get back on track.
- Prioritize Finding Support: When going through seasons of struggle, it’s important to prioritize finding a community that can help you. That might be a friend, family member, therapist, etc. Utilize these people to talk through your feelings and allow them to encourage you on your journey.
- Recognize Triggers: A trigger is something that can create strong desire for one’s substance of choice. It’s important to be self-aware and recognize what your triggers are so you can work past the temptations that they bring.
- Create a Plan: One of the best ways to avoid relapse is to have a plan in place for when you encounter triggers. We recommend finding healthy ways to cope with stress, such as exercise or meditation, or having a list of people to call for support when you are feeling vulnerable.
- Practice self-care: It’s very important to take care of yourself and do what you can to make sure you’re emotionally, physically and mentally healthy. This includes things such as getting enough sleep, making wise food choices, and participating in activities that bring you joy.
- Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help: You should never hesitate to ask for help, especially from a professional. If you are having trouble getting back on your recovery journey, reach out to a therapist, addiction counselor, etc. They are there to help you and provide guidance as you navigate this challenging time.
About Spero Health
If you or someone you love is struggling with substance abuse disorder, Spero Health offers local, affordable, and comprehensive outpatient addiction treatment. We integrate evidence-based physician services, counseling, and recovery support services to create a unique approach designed for each individual.
For more information, please call 866-755-4258 or e-mail us at email@example.com.